Water Services

​Customer Service Office is now located at:
Shelby County Building (within the License Office)
19220 Hwy 280 East, Suite 101, Birmingham, AL 35242

EFFECTIVE January 1, 2022,  we will no longer hang door tags for past due accounts. To continue to receive notifications, be certain your account has the most up to date contact information.

Information on our New Utility Bill Payment System, please click here.

For water services at an existing meter, the owner or owner’s executor must sign a water user agreement and provide the following:

  • A completed deed for the service address
  • Either an Alabama Driver’s License, Star ID, or two forms of government issued ID
  • Social security number or tax identification number
  • Retail Water Refundable Deposit of $150.00

Contact the Customer Service Office to schedule an appointment or for more information.

E-mail: cs-water@shelbyal.com
Phone: (205) 678-2818

SCAM ALERT:  The Shelby County Sheriff's Office has been made aware of scammers in our area. They are calling and impersonating the Shelby County Water Services Department, demanding credit card payment by phone for overdue water bills. Verify any account status with a local office or by calling a known number before releasing any info by phone. The Shelby County Water Services Department WILL NEVER phone you for payment by credit card.  For questions please email
cs-water@shelbyal.com or phone (205) 678-2818. 

Shelby County Water Services serves both retail and wholesale customers. The retail customers, who total more than 12,500 accounts, are primarily located in Westover, Chelsea, and the subdivisions of Eagle Point, Greystone, Forrest Park, Forrest Lakes, Mt. Laurel, Regent Park, Villas Belvedere, and Highland Village. The retail customer accounts have grown from 3,200 in 2001. Part of that increase was from the former Westover Water Authority, which merged with Shelby County Water Services in 2007.

The active wholesale customers are Alabaster, Pelham, and Sterrett-Vandiver. These water systems utilize significant amounts of water from Shelby County Water Services and sell the water to their customers.

Shelby County Water Services gets water from the Coosa River, and treats the water in two water treatment plants. One of the plants is the Talladega/Shelby Water Treatment Plant near Childersburg and is jointly owned by Talladega County and Shelby County. The other plant is the Shelby County South Water Treatment Plant near Wilsonville, which is owned and operated by Shelby County and began production of drinking water in 2008.

Please remember to call Alabama 811 at the telephone number 811 before digging. IT IS THE LAW!   The water main (or other utility line) that you save from damage might be the one that serves you and your neighbors!