ADEM Announces Burn Ban
The Alabama Department of Environmental Management is reminding Alabamians of the open burning ban going into effect for 12 counties. The ban, which is designed to protect air quality, is effective from May through October and includes:
Services We Provide
The Environmental Services Department provides the following services:
Additionally, we provide day-to-day contact with the public in landfill operations, storm water programs, and garbage service, and resolve complaints and problems related to any of the above.
Useful Resources / Information
- Septic tank inspections are performed by the Alabama Department of Public Health - Shelby County Health Department (205-685-4178)
- Littering Law
- Media Links
- Landfill Division
Changes to Shelby County Garbage Collection Services
Effective October 1, 2022, the garbage collection service provider will be changing. Please visit Changes in Garbage Collection FAQs (PDF) and Waste/Recycle Information (PDF) for additional information and what to expect with the change.
- For questions or to report problems with current garbage services, please contact Republic Services at (205) 605-0800 or (205) 923-1650.
- To establish new garbage services in unincorporated areas of Shelby County, please contact Republic Services (205) 923-1650.
- If you have any problems, please contact Environmental Services at (205) 669-3737.
- For additional services, please visit RepublicServices.com.
There are four recycling centers located throughout Shelby County for the recycling of paper, plastics, aluminum cans, and cardboard (no glass or garbage). For recycling guidelines visit recyclingsimplified.com